During the War of 1812, British soldiers occupied a farm house on the shore of Jones Creek and drank the homemade wine they found stocked in the cellar.
This home near Bethlehem Steel became the first clubhouse of Sparrows Point Country Club more than 100 years later. In 1952, this booming mill needed room to expand so they purchased a 250 acre, waterfront parcel for a new Club and retained William Gordon to build the first nine holes. By 1961, the Club as we know it today with twenty-seven golf holes was completed. Then, in 1985, the Club was sold to the membership, who continues today to oversee all Club operations and policy.
Today, SPCC is one of the finest Club facilities of its kind in the state. The golf course ranks among the most challenging in Maryland and the 18th hole has been called "one of the finest finishing holes in Maryland.” Our Club overlooks the scenic Chesapeake Bay tributary, Bear Creek and includes amenities such as a waterfront Olympic-sized pool, a 62-slip deep water basin, lighted Har-Tru tennis, long and short game practice areas, and a clubhouse that serves outstanding casual to fine dining.
Best of all, the tradition of "good cheer" that began so many years ago still continues. Nowhere are the advantages of the region more apparent than at Sparrows Point Country Club.